Larry Greenberg? Who the heck is that? Never heard of him...
October 22, 2014
My Top 5 Gigs of 2014
January 8, 2015
Happy New Year!
I’m often asked what my favorite events to work are, and it’s such a difficult question to answer, as there have been SO many fun jobs over the years.
Here is a list of my top five favorite shows from this past year, in no particular order…
1. Chris Bosh’s 30th birthday. I’m not gonna’ lie, this one was pretty cool. It was outside of Marlin Stadium in Miami last February. There was a circus theme, and I was hired to do walk-around sleight of hand magic for about a hundred guests, including the entire Miami Heat and their spouses. Mr. Bosh and his wife were very kind and gracious, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony performed, and never in my life did I see so many guys wearing sunglasses at night.
2. Thanksgiving with PricewaterhouseCoopers. Even though this was my fifth year in a row entertaining at this event, it still ranks top on my list of favorite gigs this year. It was bigger and better than it has ever been, with over 1,200 in attendance at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. PWC invites its staff and their friends and family to attend an incredible feast after the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, and I’m privileged to provide all of the entertainment. This year we had three close-up magicians, five cartoonists, two face painters, two balloon twisters, two photo booths, and a DJ. The guests really appreciate the event, and I really think more companies throughout the country should consider hosting a Thanksgiving Day party.
3. Morris County School of Technology’s Project Graduation. I’ve been performing at project grad events for my entire career, and in case you don’t know what they are, it’s when a high school takes its seniors out for an all-night party immediately after graduation. Graduation nights are statistically pretty bad for drinking and driving accidents, and these events help keep the kids safe and sober. They’re tough, because the shows usually start around 2am, but at the same time they are very rewarding. Of the many hypnosis shows I performed this year at project graduations, the seniors from MCST in Denville, NJ were the most fun. (The picture above is a mid-show selfie taken at 3am during a project grad this year. It’s so easy putting the volunteers to sleep at that hour!)
4. A super guy’s 70th birthday celebration. A former client was throwing a birthday party for her father. With about 200 guests to entertain, I was invited to perform tableside, doing sleight of hand magic. While not an uncommon type of event for me to work, and one that wouldn’t normally be at the top of my list, this party was different. You see, I’ve attended countless family parties over the years, but I don’t ever recall seeing such an outpouring of love for one person before. During the numerous speeches, toasts, and roasts, you couldn’t help but admire the closeness of this family. This party reminded me once again of how grateful I am that my work allows me to meet fun and unique people all the time. Have I mentioned I love what I do?!?
5. Mike Vick’s New Year’s Eve Party. Just last week I got to perform for one of the more accomplished quarterbacks in the NFL. I’m not a football fan, and I don’t really care about someone’s celebrity, but this party definitely ranks in my top five of the year. The reason why? It was a BLAST! When you make your living as a performer, working on New Year’s Eve is simply par for the course. However, if you have to work when everyone else is partying, you at least hope you get a good group that likes to have fun. This party did not disappoint. The Vicks were extremely hospitable, their friends and family definitely know how to party, and it was a really fun way to bring in 2015!
I hope that 2014 treated you well and that 2015 is even better. Happy New Year!